Let’s face it – home security can be incredibly expensive. Moreover, home security specialists say that most of the high-end security systems aren’t entirely effective and thieves usually know how to bypass a lot of the modern alarm systems that are on the market. Yet, whether we are trying to protect our valuables or, more importantly, our family, it is crucial that we have an alarm system that works and doesn’t take a huge hit on your wallet. They say that there are over 2 million burglaries a year that could be prevented by a simple and effective home security system. In addition, over 66% of all burglaries are residential, which makes a home security system even more pertinent. Here are 5 cheap and effective home security options.
- One of the best inexpensive and effective ways to protect your home is to install a floodlight – either in the front entrance of your home or back entrance. If you have a backdoor or garden entry to your home, it is recommended that you install a flood light in both front and back. Many of these lights are easy to install and very inexpensive. A motion sensor usually triggers the lights and if anyone walks in its path it will look like someone has turned on the light. A thief, if he or she is smart, should run away.
- You could also install a motion sensor alarm system. Many of these units are applied with magnets or adhesive, and are very inexpensive. Essentially, they let off some sort of high-pitched sound when someone tries to walk past them, if the alarm is activated. It is usually recommended to purchase units for all the downstairs windows and doors. Sometimes, this method is a lot more cost effective and useful than having a hard-wired system.
- Another effective and inexpensive method is to install a home security camera. These days, many of the cameras on the market are small, lightweight, easy to install and don’t cost much at all. You can easily post them above your front door, activate them at night and then have a live feed go to your smartphone. To avoid home break-ins, you can even answer the door using many of the new smartphone home security apps.
- If you are looking for celebrity security systems, you could always try out a guard dog. If your family has been looking for a family pet, why not make it a German shepherd or Rottweiler? These dogs make great family pets, but they are very intimidated to potential burglars who are trying to break into your home.
- Lastly, be prepared. If you are going out of town, make sure you have someone to take in the mail and be sure to cancel all your magazine and newspaper subscriptions. Homes that have all their lights off and have newspapers and mail piling up in front of the door are huge targets for thieves. Home security specialists say that preparedness is one of the best home security measures you can take.